Monday, August 25, 2014

Hot Lava

I was sitting in our family room after dinner this evening playing with my almost 3 year old son, Liam. Is he really almost 3?? Anyways. So I am sitting in a chair and my son starts tickling me, on my face. For some reason that is his favorite spot to tickle. Not the most ideal location seeing that there are eyes on my face and not sure if you know this but little fingers fit perfectly into them. So there we are, wrestling and tickling away and then I get a great idea and throw some big pillows on the ground so I can push him down on to them. Don't worry, he enjoys it :). But then it hits me...THE LAVA GAME!! I wasn't sure if he would understand it or if he would actually believe that the carpet was hot lava and then never want to play in the family room ever again. It was a risk I was willing to take. Well, he loved it! Sometimes I think I scared him a little because I was getting so into it but don't worry I would catch him before his head actually hit the lava. And we saved Mickey Mouse as well so it was a great day.

I really have no idea what this blog post is going to be about, I just knew that I needed to start typing and I thought the lava story was a good place to start. I'm sure we all can relate to playing the lava game at some point in our lives. If you haven't experienced the lava game then you are more than welcome to join Liam and I next time.

One of the things I love most about being a daddy is I get to be a kid all over again. I get to have the little kid imagination! Oh what an awesome thing. I still have an imagination and it comes out here and there, but nothing like a little kids imagination. It's so innocent and fun and it makes you feel alive. I hate that the older we get we become less fun. More things make us grumpy and irritated and we aren't near as much fun as we used to be. Part of it is just growing up but part of me believes I can be more fun, creative, imaginative.
And most of all, I need the "I can conquer the world" mentality. There wasn't a bad guy we couldn't capture and a princess we couldn't save. 

Well I now have my princess and I think it's time I start being her night in shining armor and rescue her from the dragons and hot lava.
They always say a happy wife means a happy life. Well I think it's time to take it to the next level.
I say a happy life comes when a man deeply loves, cares, protects, honors, respects, pampers, places above himself, cherishes, tells her he loves her, again, and again, and again, and most of all, FIGHTS for her daily.

As my son and I were in his rocking chair snuggling, I asked if he wanted to pray or if he wanted daddy to. He pointed to himself, in the dark, I finally saw his little finger pointing to himself so I said okay buddy. This was his prayer:
Jesus, thank you God, Hot lava.

The innocence and realness of a child is incredible. May we never forget to have child like faith. I hope and pray we can bring out the little kid imagination in us a little more and enjoy life a little more each day.



No comments:

Post a Comment